Thursday, January 06, 2011

Inner Strength

The stars didn't line up correctly in 2010.  Another girlfriend who I have known since high school was recently diagnosed with serious tumors in her liver and colon.  (My ex-brother in law was diagnosed with cancer in the throat in July 2010.)  These are cancerous and it's at their late stages.  Though we were not very close, I always enjoyed her free spirit and joyous laughter.  So when the news of her illness came, I couldn't help but want to be there ... a good person and a friend who had called when I was most unhappy in my younger days.  I finally got her okay to visit her on New Years day, 1/1/11.  I pictured her exhausted from chemotherapy, with barely any hair, and emaciated from not being able to eat much.  But she shocked me.  She had a full head of hair, in her happy spirit as usual, and a game plan to fight those cancerous cells.    She was tired but she didn't show it.  She had the exercise routine, the diet and the family members lined up to help.  It was great sitting in her living room and hearing how she feels that there could be worst things that can happen.  She made me laugh with her little stories about her doctor's visits and the baby food she eats.  After tiring her out for two hours, I left feeling enlightened.  I hope the hats I bought her will never be used.  But if they will be used, I know she will have fun with them.  To me, she showed me what it means to be living - to be thankful of what she has and to be happy.  She is far from dying.  Friends of all walks of life never fail to teach me strength and greatness.  For that I am blessed.

No comments: