Sunday, January 30, 2011

Green Eggs and Ham


After about two and a half years of trying to get Ethan back into the pool to learn how to swim, he was finally in the pool about 10 days ago.  Yes, it was the promise of star war legos and just gifts in general for giving new experiences a try.  But I think it's mostly because Ethan and I had a major fight the Saturday before when I tried but failed to get him to put on his swimming trunk.  He resisted with all his might.  But he came along, fully dressed, to the pool because he had no choice.  Artimus had her lessons so he either came along or had to be alone.  He came along and watched Artimus swim for an hour as well as waited for her when I changed her in the dressing room.  He was bored as hell when Artimus was happily playing in the water.  Naturally, as any smart kid should, he agreed to go into the pool the following Saturday.

After Ethan was in the pool for an hour with a very sensitive instructor, he told me, "Mommy, swimming is fun.  I really like it.  I want to come back next weekend."  My heart sang with glee.  I thought I would never hear those words from him.  So now, Ethan is finally in regular lessons, just like Artimus!  Yay!  Never give up!

No comments: