Monday, May 14, 2007

War with In-Laws Continues

When Ethan was sick last week, I decided that it's time to take an active role in taking care of him at night. Now that we sleep in separate rooms, it's impossible. Thus, my quest for a king size bed began. Last Friday, I found a decent price for an Ethan Allen king size bed. We went to see it but before we saw it, our rule was it has to be from a couple who are still alive and not in the process of getting a divorce. When the door opened, the owners were a happy couple with three children who were moving to another apartment and are buying all new furnitures so they were trying to get rid of their "old" furnitures. They showed us the bed frame and showed us how to put it together. I immediately fell in love with the condition. I casually asked if anything else is for sale. They said the coaches and basically everything else. So we also decided to buy the owner's couches and TV stand, all for a decent price. So I was really excited - finally we got a break on otherwise expensive items. The owner, the mother/wife, was really easy and gave me a price I could not refuse, and was very accommodating. It was basically a very happy transaction. We are scheduled to pick up the furnitures tomorrow. So all in all, it took three days. Then when JK came home, he relayed that his parents were opposed to us getting a second hand bed, and that FIL gave him about $1000 cash to get a new bed. I said it's only the bed frame. That we are not going to sleep on a used mattress. Still, JK explained, it's someone else's bed. JK agreed that logically, the bed frame is fine. But his parents will always feel negatively about it.

So how far are we going to go with the superstition? Where does it stop? I am not being cheap by buying used furnitures. It just makes sense to me to not spend so much on furnitures when we have young kids who will destroy them one way or another anyway. Apparently JK's parents are saying what we are doing say something about us as people. I don't know what that something is, and I really don't care. JK's parents are really good people but with a way of thinking that will never be compatible with me.

JW



No comments: