Mother Guilt
I often wonder if I am doing my best for my children when it comes to schooling. Ethan is in the school of my dream - the dual language school in the lower east side. But I have not been able to do much homework with him because there is just not enough time after I get home from work. I still cook. Then there is cleaning the dishes. By the time we get to the bedroom, it's 8:30 pm. After a book or two, a bath, and brushing teeth, it's 9:30. Needless to say, by that point, I am in a frantic mode to shut the lights and force them to close their eyes. Ethan has been able to fall asleep faster these days. I guess he really resists the nap in school. Artimus, on the other hand, has been the one unable to fall asleep.
All said, there is just not enough time to do all that must be done and do school work. I guess it's all routine. Our current routine is just not meeting his academic needs. His Chinese teacher has been sending him notes to bring home that said he needs to practice his pronunciation and writing his Chinese characters. What can I do? I have a full time job? I need to think hard and get myself disciplined. The problem is I love to sleep and I really enjoy a freshly cooked dinner. Perhaps with school age children, and being a single mom, this just has to change.
On another note, when we were having dinner tonight, and the soup was still being boiled, I told them that the smell of soup reminds me of home because my mother always made soup. Ethan immediately told me that the smell of soup reminds him of mommy. I was so happy I think I was in tears. It's true, I rarely ever have to remind him to drink his soup.
The weather is getting warmer. I hope everyone is enjoying the sun. There are those with spring fever, myself included, who seem to be dressing for weather 20 degrees warmer. The coats and jackets are just too heavy and depressing. It's time to stay out in the park all day! Don't you agree?
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment