Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gifted and Talented?  Or Pure Luck?

I am referring to that test that four year olds take to get into a gifted and talented program in NYC.  While I think Ethan is a smart kid and above average, I often find him to be wild.  He has obsessions that drive me nuts.  He is also a very passionate kid who gets attach to friends and can't stop talking about those friends.  For awhile I thought he was just going to be a follower in life because he was always talking about what another kid did in school and that he wants to do that too.  Then there were times he shocks me with the things he can think about and articulate.

Well, last night, I got an email from the DOE saying he qualified to apply to a gifted and talented program.  I was happy to know that but forgot my password to get into the system to check out his score.  So this morning, when I saw the score, I almost fell off my chair.  My son is gifted and talented?  May be all these headache and heartache are worth it?  May be we have hope?  I called the daddy immediately.  He also couldn't believe it because he was convinced that while Ethan was smart, he was no top-of-the-class of the 4 year olds. 

So we are pleasantly surprised.  But people tell me smart kids are expensive.  Anyway, a stubborn kid has a stubborn mom - I love the school he is in now so he is staying.  Daddy may think differently.  A part of me is wondering if I should at least do some due diligence by visiting the nearest gifted and talented school.   The application deadline is next Friday.  There is just not enough time in a day to do all that one must do.

Hope your day is as exciting but not so filled with dilemma.

-JW

No comments: