Good Person
What makes a person good?
When I was pregnant with Ethan, I was deeply concerned about the kind of person he will become. I realized that of all the things that I wanted my son to be, the most important to me was that he grows up to become a good person - one who cares about the plight of others and is a giving person. I still remember that anytime I was alone with him, I would rub my belly and whisper to him my hopes and dreams that he just be a good person.
Is being a good person, under my definition, innate? Or is it learned? If it is learned, then I must be an example of one who cares about the plight of others and is a giving person, even if that means I forgo something/someone I truly want to have. This is not easy, but to choose otherwise seems hypocritical.
I hope that one day, when I look back at all the decisions I made in life, that I can be proud to have made them. What is mine is mine. What is not will never be. What I do have are my children. They are my responsibility and a mark of my achievement. So the sleepless nights will be what they will be. I will conquer them with love.
This is an entry I share with a special friend.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment