Monday, April 23, 2007

Breastfeeding Fear Put to Rest For Now

After much up and downs in what I see of my milk production, I finally went to see Dr. Lauren Macaluso, a lactation doctor out in Little Neck, Long Island. She is a friendly one with much encouraging words. Artimus was striped naked and weighed just before feeding. We talked while I nursed and right after the nursing, Artimus was put back on the scale. She took in 2.5 ounces in about half an hour's time. I normally nurse her for about forty-five minutes to an hour. I felt relieved, exhilarated, vindicated . . . finally, it is confirmed that the electric pump is not as efficient as a baby and Artimus was getting enough milk. Dr. Macaluso observed the nursing and confirmed that all that I was doing was good. Then the avalanche of questions from me - how does one increase and maintain production, when does the benefit of breastmilk decrease, what is the effect of clotting, etc. She patiently answered my questions. I basically knew all the answers because I had been reading but it's nice to hear it from a doctor. I also reviewed the history of Artimus' weight gain since birth. Dr. Macaluso confirmed she was growing at a rate that was as expected. Great. FYI, Artimus is now 10.3 ounces, more or less.

So for fifty dollars of copay, my mind is at ease. The in-laws and my parents always have that worry look on their face when they see Artimus. They know how strongly I feel about breastfeeding so they all tried to keep their opinion to themselves. But JK periodically informs me that his parents are concerned about her size. Well, I feel no obligation to anyone but Artimus. Dr. Macaluso showed me a growth chart that took into account of breastfed babies. According to that chart, her weight is actually in or about the 85 percentile rather than 30. I did not discuss my visit with my parents or the in-laws. I just don't see the need to justify my decision to breastfeed. They just have to know that I am doing my best as her mother and that I will never starve her. What mothers in their right minds would starve their baby? I am also told that although the nutritional value of breast milk decrease when the baby begins on solid food, the antibodies from breast milk continues in the breast milk for as long as the baby is getting it. With this information, I am contemplating nursing Artimus until she turns one.

JW

No comments: