Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Remarriage Campaign

As soon as we got home today, Artimus came up to me very cute and sweetly, and said, "Your mother's aunt and I both want you and daddy to get married again.  That's what we want.  Can you marry Daddy again?  Please?"  With her long smile showing her teeth and her eyelashes batting, I couldn't help but laugh.  Daddy took them to visit my grand aunt over the weekend while I was trying to finish a report.  My grand aunt had questioned the wisdom of my decision when she first learned of our divorce.  She absolutely adored him.  I must admit, most older people we meet adore him.  But why this now, after more than four years of separation and divorce?

We talked.

Me: "Do you want me to be happy?"  
Artimus:  "Yes."
Me: "Can you let me choose who I want to be with?"
Artimus:  ---
Me: "What if I fall in love with someone else?"
Artimus: "You cannot marry anyone else."
Me: "Can you let me choose who will make me happy?"
Artimus: "You will marry him?"
Me: "May be."
Artimus: "Then can I be the flower girl?"  
Me: "Yes, of course."

We hugged.

Artimus:  "Can I have the ice-cream now?  You promised."

I have a feeling there will be more of these types of conversations.

JW



No comments: