Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sleeping in the Same Bed

There are true benefits to sleeping in the same bed.  We get to cuddle, kiss, hug and build great memories of comfort and love.  The truth is, we can all remember a time in our younger days when we were afraid of the dark, the stillness of the night, and monsters/ghosts.  We craved the warmth and protection of the superheroes like mommy and daddy.  After all, our bodies dictated that there is nothing better than a good night sleep.

These true benefits to sleeping with parents diminish as the years progress.  At least for the parent, the kids' nighttime spins and karate moves get less tolerable as their size get bigger.  That kick in the head at 4:00 am in the morning is no longer forgivable.  The leg swung on top of my belly no longer felt like a slap but like a punch.  This is particularly true for Ethan, whose bones are bigger and heavier.  Artimus, being female, is softer.  She is also less violent in her sleep.

This morning, I had a revelation.  Even though I love to wake up with them by my side and know that they slept well, I think it's time for them to be in their bed.  Perhaps I can reactivate that fulton I bought that can be laid out on the floor in front of their bunk bed.  I must get Ethan to learn to sleep on his own.  Otherwise, I might begin to feel like a battered mother.  But how can I get upset at a sleeping child?

Artimus fell off the bed last night.  I helped her back on to the bed and she just continued sleeping.  Amazing.

JW

No comments: