Sunday, September 23, 2012

They Teach Me To Love Tenderly

Yes, there are a great many moments when the demands of the day cause me to raise my voice at Ethan and Artimus ... like:
  • "Please get dressed, we have to run to school NOW!"
  • "Artimus, I don't mean to rush you but can you eat and swallow so we can get out and get to school ON TIME?!" 
  • "PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! BRUSH YOUR TEETH! WHY DO I HAVE TO REMIND YOU TWO EVERY MORNING?"
  • "Please put on your shoes, NOW!  When I am done blow-drying my hair, I am walking directly out the door so PUT ON YOUR SHOES!" 
Yes, much is a rush these days, it seems.  The longer travel to the new school is changing the more leisurely pace we used to enjoy.  The rush continues at night and it's sorta taking a toll on us in that I am rushing them all the time.  So one day, Ethan said to me, "STOP rushing me.  I am getting a headache!"  What do I say as the time-keeper who has to get them fed and ready for school everyday, and who has to get them in bed at a decent hour so they will be awake enough to learn the next day?  So I get upset when they dilly dollied and the lights are still on at 9:15 pm.  I get so steamed up I couldn't even kiss them good night. 

The one amazing thing about children is they don't pretend.  They don't know how to yet, at 5 or even at 7.  Without a kiss from mommy, the night appears scary and the day could not close.  They twist and turn in their bed, unable to sleep.  When I finally lay down with them, say 9:30, with a kiss, a firm hug, and a soft "I love you", they both fall soundly asleep.  Yes, just like that ... magic!  This never fails to remind me that these willful little beings need my love and protection so they could feel safe and happy.

Feeling needed is a great feeling.  All the hard work is worth it when these little beings blossom into healthy and good people in society.  I will reason more and rush them less so these tender hearts are loved more tenderly.

Thank you for reading and staying in touch!

JW

 

No comments: