First Day of School
Mornings are always horrible for me . . . and JK, because we can't use an alarm for fear we would wake up the kids prematurely and they in turn torture us with crankiness. The nights are also not easy because Ethan still wakes up kicking and screaming. This morning was just not the day to be running late since I have to drop Ethan off to school. But rush it was. Thanks to the fact that Daddy was home and Grandma helped dress him, we rushed off to catch the bus at 8:45 am. Of course, before exiting the apartment, Grandma and Daddy wanted to come drop him off to his first day of school too. Thank goodness it didn't take much to discourage them.
While on the bus, daddy called asking how our boy was doing. Daddy was practically on the phone with us until I told him we really had to get off the phone so I could give Ethan the mental prep about his first day of school, which I had been doing but I am sure Ethan paid me no mind.
When we got off the bus, he held my hands and was so good about holding on. Only when we got close to the school that he let go and walked next to me. I kept up a good spirit hoping to show him that going to school is a happy event. Well, Ethan was quick to realize something was going to be different. He refused to step inside the classroom eventhough I was already inside for 10 minutes. So I picked him up and put him in. Then he made sure he got his hands on me, the whole time staring at the teachers who were trying to get him to sit down. When the Chinese teacher touched him, he attempted to bite her. What's new? She was alarmed. I explained that Ethan's grandma was not good at stopping him from biting her and that Ethan just needed to be taught by teachers that he can't bite. Then when this Chinese teacher picked Ethan up, so I could leave, Ethan smacked her. What's new? I explained that Ethan would swing his hands to hit and bite when he is frustrated. I gave her a metrocard that has no money and told her that that's Ethan's lovey. She laughed. So I kissed Ethan goodbye as I always did and just walked away as quickly as I could so when I was tempted to look back I couldn't see him anymore.
I think a child's first day of school is difficult for everyone. For example, daddy was at the daycare by 10:00 a.m. after he learned that I forgot Ethan's water bottle. I kicked and screamed that he must be discreet and not let Ethan see him. Later I learned that daddy was escorted out by the administrator and grandma was sitting in the car outside with Artimus, waiting to see what was going to happen. I called daddy and reassured him that it's only normal that Ethan cries because he is being left with strangers - many of them for that matter, in a place he has not been to before. Daddy knew that but he just needed to hear it from someone else.
By 3:30 p.m., Ethan was picked up by daddy. Daddy reported that Ethan was sitting on a chair listening and singing with other kids when he got there. I guess Ethan survived his first day . . . like all the other kids.
JW
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment