Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Away from Spoiling

It's Ethan's fifth day of school and he now learns that he doesn't want to go. It's true that we probably have better toys and better books at home, and a grandma he can dictate and a little sister he can attack. Best of all, he basically gets to go out to see the world two times a day. Now, gym time is only two days a week, at half an hour each time. Basically no time to stretch his all-too-active little body. The weather is getting colder so I am sure the teachers are not dressing a group of 15 and let them out to catch a cold.

Ethan doesn't put up a big fight against going to school. He just let out this under-the-breath annoying cry. After I walked him into the classroom today, the teacher held him to take off his coat, yet he held on to my hands. Then the teacher told me she finds him very needy, often asking to be held by mommy or grandma. Otherwise, I am told he is eating well, behaving well, and sleeping well.

I am not happy that I am told Ethan is a needy child. I find Ethan more manipulative than needy. Grandparents are in the business of spoiling grandkids and his are no exceptions. I am also beginning to think that Ethan's daddy is guilty of the same charge. Given that Ethan is surrounded by spoilers, may be me included, I am happy Ethan finally has to deal with the "real world". The day he is able to play with other children without getting any of them injured or crying for help, I will be a happier mother. Nothing pains me more than to have raised a needy, selfish, and uncaring boy. I don't think Ethan is such a person but the fear is that one day I may find myself one of the culprit to have created the environment for that to happen. It's no better time to change the course of events than now.

JW

No comments: