Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"Mum Mum" is History

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I last reported on the adventure of our parenthood! Well, the best news is that one morning two weeks ago, naughty Ethan threw his pacifier into the toilet and Daddy found out the hard way. The rest of the day, which happened to have been a Sunday, Daddy was busy trying to unclot the toilet and Ethan watched the whole thing because he was anxious to get his pacifier back. That of course, never happened because as soon as JK fished it out, we happily tossed it into the garbage can. My MIL made the best suggestion ever - just tell Ethan the pacifier was never found. So that's what we did and Ethan took full responsibility. Everytime I said it's gone because he threw it into the toilet, he would point to the direction of the bathroom, saying "Mum Mum Tsi Saw," meaning "pacifier bathroom". Now, when I ask him to sleep, he would even close his eyes and try to sleep. Since that eventful Sunday, Ethan is talking more and his vocabulary increased tenfold. I don't know if it's a coincidence because at 2 years of age, kids learn to speak in lightning speed. His breath also smells better. What can I say?! JK and I are just exhilarated!

Yesterday night, for the first time, Ethan kissed us with his lips. JK reported that last night, as he was walking home after parking the car, he picked Ethan up and casually asked him in Chinese if he kisses Daddy, which although the word is "kiss" the meaning is really "love". Ethan said yes in his loud high pitch toddler voice and kissed Daddy on the cheek. JK was soooo happy that I can't find the word to express for him. JK was still talking about it this morning. When Ethan was asked the same question by me, he came to me and kissed me on the cheek with that loud kissing sound I had taught him. The joy was inexplicable! JK and I are still living the "high" from this milestone Ethan made - finally, he has learned to make other people happy by giving back.

Ethan also showed emotions of missing his other friends, like Gwen Gwen and Kalie, who are both his age and who he loves to hug . . . and kiss if he can get close enough.

So, we are proud parents of a boy now!

JW

No comments: