Friday, February 09, 2007

"Your are a Proud Owner of Joane's Jewelry!"

Many girlfriends know that I have been making earrings and giving them out as gifts on special occasions. It's a very relaxing hobby for me because it takes me away from the worries of life and put me in the world of creativity. Then I get a second round of satisfaction when I see the joy I can bring to a friend who could feel a moment of beauty and happiness upon seeing the earrings. Well, my prolific production kinda helped my sister-in-law (and my sister and mom) build a collection of my earrings. She must have won them all the time because her colleagues finally subcumbed to asking her to ask me how much it costs to make them a pair. Well, it's expensive, I told my sister-in-law, 'cause I like to use quality materials like fresh water pearls, nice gems, and sterling silvers. I had been asked to make earrings before and when I say I wanted $60.00 and above, depending on the piece, that had stopped the inquiry. This time, her colleague persisted and expressed specifically what she wanted. I was flattered. So I designed one, with lots of different color fresh water pearls and gems that fit her taste and her features. At $65, I basically did not charge her labor. Well, now I am commissioned by another of her co-worker to make another pair of earrings. I was delighted that people liked my work, but will I work at a discount again, or is it time to evaluate the cost of my labor and factor that into the price? Or is this too early to view it as a potential income stream? That thought lingered until the receptionist at my OBGYN boldly asked me today if I could make her another pair of earrings, which she would like to pay for. I only made simple gem earrings for her and the physician assistant to thank them for their patience, professionalism and kindness during my first pregnancy and as a little gift last Christmas. I remember they were so happy and I always see them wear my earrings whenever I go for an appointment, which was not that frequent until recently. So do I have a market?

JK was very supportive of my creativity in making nice earrings since the beginning. He always gave good criticisms . . . simple criticisms like that doesn't look so special or that's a unique design. He never said the stones were too costly for a hobby. Rather, he always encouraged me to get the best quality stones and pearls to make good quality earrings. That's the good thing about our union, we reenforce our belief in doing the best and giving only quality work. So when I told him people wanted to pay for the earrings, he said I should start thinking about branding my work so people know they are "the proud owner of Joane's jewelry." He designed a symbol and asked me if I wanted to use it. Naaa, I said. I'll design my own. He kept trying to persuade me, "Are you sure? This meant eternity . . ." Naaa, I said. I am my own artist. Ha Ha Ha.

So this is on my mind. With a big mortgage and Ethan going to daycare in September, I was going to stop making earrings because we can no longer afford those quality gems and pearls. But with a market of followers who are willing to pay, may be I can keep going with more complex designs and more quality gems and pearls, even if I don't charge labor and just charge the cost of material. Mmmm.

JW

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you do repairs too? I'll pay for the pearls. I was being careless and some of them fell off I think. -EC