This Christmas . . .
This Christmas, like last, didn't feel like Christmas to me. There was no smell of the fresh scent of pine from a real Christmas tree and there was no opportunity to relive the many memories of Christmas time when I put up the unique and symbolic ornaments from so many special friends. You see, every X-mas, before the little feet arrived into our lives, I have a New Years Eve party for my side of friends. The only thing my friends bring to the party is an ornament that is special to them or is representative of something about them so I can always remember who I got it from whenever I bring the ornaments out to put them on the tree. So there is a nice collection now and it's truly a joy to put up ornaments.
Last year, Ethan was about three months when X-mas came and I was too occupied with the new parent experience to organize something. Then this X-mas, we are busy planning on closing two apartments, renovating the one we are moving into, and preparing for this new addition to the family. We just have too much on our minds to have the spirit or the energy to make sure everyone will have a good time. Besides, getting invited to parties was so much easier and we had enough invites to keep us busy every night this past X-mas weekend. With that said, I still miss those moments of X-mas when I look up at the tree and feel so happy because I had so many special friends who really put thoughts into being a part of my life and memories.
I vow that in 2007, we will have a X-mas and New Years Eve party with friends to rekindle the good times . . . and add more ornaments to the tree. I say "we" because my life has changed for the better since marriage. We have built a little family and we have shared so many good times around the holidays that it won't feel the same ever again if we are not together under the Xmas tree or making our New Years resolutions. I am also excited to share the spirit and joy of X-mas with the little ones because it would be their first X-mas tree. I think Ethan will be thrilled to "carry" the tree home with his Daddy and discover gifts underneath them on X-mas day. I believe it is true that at the end of our lives, it'll be memories that count . . . and every missed opportunity to create memories of good times is a missed opportunity to add happiness to our lives.
Wishing you a Merry Xmas and Happy Holiday!
JW
Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment