Friday, October 08, 2010

Too Much Love?

It's hard to know why some kids can sleep on their own and why some just cling on to the parent's bed.  After one whole year of relentless fighting with Ethan, I succumbed to his need to sleep more.  He was sleeping between 7 to 9 hours a day, and he was very unpleasant to be around.  He was also beginning to use other ways to get me to sleep with him.  Most recently, he said to me, "If you don't sleep with me, I am taking you out of my heart."  At first I was really upset.  Then I realized he learned that this had the most impact so he kept on saying it.  He also cried from his heart when I insisted that he needs to sleep in his own bed because he is a big boy.  Is all the aggravation healthy for him and his relationship with me?  This past week, I slept with them every night.  He slept through the night and he woke up refreshed and happy.  Is this too much love for Ethan and Artimus?  I also realized that Artimus cries in the middle of the night from bad dreams.  It happened last night.  I hope this is not chronic.  I held her tight and kissed her until she fell back asleep.  They are so cute to sleep with.  I think we really only needed a full size bed, not a king size.

On the nights I have them, I would naturally fall asleep with them.  The kiddies are so exhausting.  On nights like tonight, the apartment seems so big and empty.  I also need some noise.  I miss their ever incessant voices and laughter, their discovery of yet one more ways of playing the same innocuous toys.  Their curiosity and love for adventure never fail to uplift my spirit.  When someone said to me today that she does not like children, I could not relate.  I could only hope that she'll have the chance to experience the joy of parenthood.

Hope all my readers/friends are doing well.

-JW

No comments: