Monday, May 05, 2014

Lessons from Harry Potter

When putting kids to sleep, do not read Harry Potter.  


One day a few months ago, in a desperation to put the kids to sleep, I picked up Harry Potter, book 1, to read to them as they lie motionless to fall asleep while listening to my monotonous voice.  Sometimes, I learned, even a monotonous voice can't hold back words that build a wonderful fantasy story about a little kid who is a natural at magic.  I read to them in the dark with a flashlight.  Unfortunately, I was the only one who was falling asleep.  Each time I stopped at a good spot to listen for heavy breathing, all I heard was, "Keep reading mommy!"  And so this went, for three nights.  I quit.

So Artimus picked up Book 1 and continued reading.  She was so addicted that she took it to school to read during lunch time, snack time and whenever she has free time.  She is now almost finishing Book 4.  It's funny how kids can be so determined when they are interested in something.  Ethan already finished all seven books but after the three nights of reading, he picked up the books again and re-read the entire series until he was done, which only took about six weeks.  In another two years' time, they will surpass me in reading level!

I am so proud of them.  I hope they will always be addicted to the world they can experience in books rather than in games, which they were addicted to for a long time until about now when they have been forbidden to touch unless it's a Friday.


The other night, Artimus forgot to put her homework in her bookbag for the next day, which tends to happen often.  When I put it in her backpack, guess what she did not forget to put in her bag!  Yes, Harry Potter Book 4!  Just earlier that evening, she proudly told me she finished Book 3.

Never ever read Harry Potter to the kids before bed!

No comments: